The Stefano Moshi Memorial University College (SMMUCo) is one of the five constituent colleges of Tumaini University Makumira (TUMA); other colleges are: Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College (KCMUCo), Tumaini University Makumira, Dar es Salaam College (TUMADARCo) Southern Highland University College (SHUCo) and Josiah Kibira University College (JOKUCo).
The University College has been developed from the Masoka Management Training Institute (MMTI) and Mwika Lutheran Bible College (LBC). It belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania – Northern Diocese and has campuses at Masoka, Mwika and Moshi Town. Masoka Campus is currently serving as the Head Office of SMMUCo. Projected campuses are Machame, Siha and Karatu. The main Campus of SMMUCo will be at Machame Campus in Hai District.
Physical Locations of Campuses
All campuses are located in Kilimanjaro Region in Tanzania, East Africa as follows:
Moshi Town Sub Campus:
Stefano Moshi Memorial University College (SMMUCo) was registered by the Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) in July 2007; Chartered by the United Republic of Tanzania in 2008; and is a constituent College of Tumaini University Makumira. SMMUCo has received the TCU full registration in 2012.
Vision of SMMUCo:
The Vision of the University College is “Serving God and people by promoting educational and professional excellence for total quality development of man.”
It emanates from its Christian foundation, services and values. A Christ and people centred college; it shall focus on fulfilling God’s purpose of sharing all God given grace and wisdom with all so that God’s people may live wisely in this world. The University College offers quality knowledge for confidence, self-respect and desire to continue by conducting and promoting higher education, learning and research. It is a struggle to strike the line of best fit between what the college offers and what customers demand through scientific fact-finding and enquiries, without any discrimination.
Mission of SMMUCo:
The Mission of the College is “to provide high quality education, research and consultancy services in order to empower students to serve the people, the church, the nation and the international community effectively and efficiently.”
The university has an uncompromising commitment to customer satisfaction. Through the guidance and obedience to the Word of God, the university is dedicated to serving people effectively and efficiently in providing high quality education and research work in the most conducive environment.
The College is committed to empowering individual students, to continue learning and serving the nation and international communities effectively and efficiently.
Goals of SMMUCo
- To establish a reputable University College, sufficient in training facilities
- To recruit qualified academic and administrative staff and train the existing to meet academic and professional needs
- To promote the University College to become a centre for excellence of thought, decision, research, consultancy and teaching within the context of Christian truth and values in order to face the global social and economic challenges with confidence
- To transmit knowledge that empowers students through quality education needed by the society
SMMUCo aims to fulfill the following objectives within the next five years:
- Have increased and improved enrolment.
- Enhanced marketing and public relations of the college.
- Improved and maintained resources (manpower, infrastructure and equipment)
- Developed competitive edge in the higher education industry.
Strategies will include:
- The provision of competitive courses leading to Degrees and postgraduate programmes, Diplomas, Certificates and other awards of the Tumaini University Makumira as approved by relevant University organs.
- The production of College graduates who are sensitive and responsive to community needs and who are able to plan, organize, co-ordinate and evaluate programmes aimed at meeting those needs.
- The acceleration of the pace of human resources development in social, economic, academic and research fields.
SMMUCo Academic Programmes
(a) Full time Programmes
(b) Evening Programmes
Non Degree Programmes
Non Degree Programmes
- Chairperson, SMMUCo Governing Board
Rt. Rev. Bishop Dr. Martin F. Shao
Principal officers of SMMUCo
- Provost – Overall in charge.
Prof. Arnold J. Temu
- Deputy Provost for Academic Affairs – Deals with all academic matters.
Prof. Peter N. Chonjo
- Deputy Provost for Administration – Deals with all administrative matters.
Ms. Edith T. Kwigizile
- Bursar – Deals with all financial matters
Mr. Joshua Elias
- Dean of Students – Deals with students welfare matters
Rev. John J. Materu
SMMUCo enrolls students without regard to creed, race, religion or political orientation. It enrolls both mature and employed applicants as well as fresh from school “A” level provided they qualify for the programme which they have applied